Rules & Guidelines
- Student teams will design and construct a model of a robotic Martian surface rover. The rover will carry out a specific, student-defined science mission on the surface of Mars.
- Teams may consist of 1-4 students, all from the same grade group. Individual entries are allowed, but we strongly encourage students to work in teams.
- Model should be small enough to fit into a grocery bag, designed to display on table top, and cost no more than $25.
Models will be entered and judged in either the Solar Power, Radio Controlled Car (RC), or the Free-Form category.
- A Solar Power Kit entry is a model built using a teacher-provided Kelvin Scientific Solar Racer Kit Model 840693, a Pisco Sunzoon Lite Kit or equivalent (less than $15). The model's wheels or it's internal parts must move when the model is held up to a light source.
- A Radio Controlled Car model is a model that starts with a specified commercial RC model. Eligible kits include Kelvin Model 280511 and Nikko 180081 1:18 Scale Hummer H2 Remote Control Car available on line from Outpost.com as Outpost #: 4474116. These kits are the only entries allowed to use batteries. Don't overload it. It should still move. The original body can be removed. Instrumentation should be added. An unadorned original "from the box" model is not an entry.
- A Free-Form entry is not required to move, but students may elect to include that element to their design. Free Form entries are allowed to use stored mechanical energy (like a wind-up gizmo), but MAY NOT USE batteries or electrical power from a wall socket.
- Models must be the work of the submitting team. An adult should do any soldering, unless a student has had appropriate training and is supervised. The students must do all other work.
- A complete entry will consist of:
- A model of Martian surface rover
- A "guide" booklet describing the mission and the model using the forms provided on the Mars Rover website.
- A team effort plan documenting each member’s contribution
- Receipts documenting expense
- A presentation/skit (less than 5 minutes) performed for the Judges during the contest.